Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Monday, June 25, 2007

More Highland Wool



A little late in posting this. I'm just sorting through all my photos and stumbled upon some old knitting photos. I'm really trying to pick up photos of M to share with the in-laws...

Woo hoo! I've got more Highland Wool. Two different purples, more ruby, and allspice. Sigh, I had hit the limit and had to chuck the red maple and mid indigo heather (and some other misc items) when I placed the order. I got a couple balls of Sonata so I can play around with it and see whether I like it. I also picked up a bit of Berroco Softwist, sight unseen. I was surprised at how heavy the Softwist packages were. I opened a corner of one of the bags to feel the yarn, it seems ok so not a bad purchase. I was afraid that I would find the Softwist to be some horrendous yarn I would never want to knit with. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet, probably scarves. That's pretty much all I do... scarves, wash cloths, hats, and some rogue projects like swiffer mop covers & a shawl. I sure do hove the Softwist makes good scarf yarn...

I still haven't figured out how I'll turn the Highland Wool into a vest for my mom. The problem is that the Lion Brand Cotton yarn for the vest pattern is a bit thicker than the Highland Wool I want to use. I've never tried knitting something to gauge before, so I'm wondering if it would be safe to just follow the instructions for the medium size vest and hope I get a small size in the end.



I meant to post this with my Utopia Hat post. This is how much yarn I had left over when I finished the white/beige hat. That's cutting it a bit close for me. I have these hand-wound balls of yarn with no clue how much yardage they contain. I pick up a ball and hope it is enough to make a hat...

What does one use with these scraps? They're really not enough to make anything, are they? I guess they just get downgraded to provisional cast on scrap yarn...

--<>--

Do you think you're good at etymology? Then check out this quiz. I'm quite pathetic, I only get between 2 to 5 (out of 10) correct. :-(

.

1 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

Hi! A great way to use up the small scraps of yarn is making newborn baby caps. I used up a bunch making caps for Caps To The Capitol for Save The Children last year. It was fun to combine scraps for cute striped hats.