Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Georgiana

.

I was trying to find a nice pattern for this Bulky weight Berroco Air yarn. I thought that the Traveling Vine pattern would be nice, but I did not want to do P2-through-back-loop stitches with long cumbersome 14" (35.5 cm) long US11 (8 mm) needles!!! I was just not up to that kind of needle acrobatics. I attempted another pattern, which you can see part of here, but did not like the result after several repeats. I frogged it. Third try is a charm, and this is the scarf I came up with where I thought the pattern suited the yarn (or is it the other way around, the yarn suits the pattern?). The scarf was inspired by the Triple Leaf pattern in the Barbara Walker Treasuries. I still don't like the straight US8 needles after completing the scarf. If I ever need to knit with such large needles again. I will definitely go get myself some circular needles! I found it very tiring to hold the straight needles. I would slip the right needle through the next stitch, then use my left thumb & index fingers to hold the right needle in place while my left hand released the right needle to wrap the yarn around before completing a knit stitch. It wasn't exactly efficient knitting. There must be some technique I haven't quite figured out yet.

Georgiana was knitted in two halves then grafted so the leaf pattern shows up right side up on both ends. That was my first time doing the kitchener stitch! See? I can learn something new. :-) The scarf you see above is unblocked. I haven't yet figured out where to block it. Before M was crawling/walking, I used to block stuff on large towels on the floor. I can't quite do that anymore unless I want my knitting dragged around all over the house. Any suggestions?

The pattern itself is 15 stitches wide, so I added a few extra stitches on the side to get a bit more width. Unblocked, it is 7 inches wide and 62 inches long (18 cm x 158 cm). I think the length is perfect, and it won't be overly long when I get around to blocking it. The scarf is light & airy around my neck, and I can feel that it is warm. I love how this yarn doesn't feel heavy or bulky around my neck. I'm tempted to get some more Berroco Air, and I'm eyeing the purple Cyberspace colorway. I used 2 balls of the Geothermal colorway for the scarf you see above.

2 June 2007: I finally blocked the scarf and its final dimensions are 73 inches x 8 inches (185.5 cm x 20 cm).

Stitches used in this scarf include:
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg 10
Triple Leaf Pattern, BW2 pg 302

Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.



Georgiana Scarf pattern:
Georgiana Scarf pattern from Box.com (no registration required, just click on link & save file)

CatBookMom's Georgiana Scarf Chart:
Georgiana Scarf Chart from Box.com (no registration required, just click on link & save file)

.

6 stitch(es):

g-girl said...

it looks great! you always come up with fabulous patterns. can't wait to try this one out..i haven't any suggestions for how to block it now that M's crawling all over the place. :(

LisaW. said...

get yourself a piece of plywood (4x8 sheet), staple some quilt batting over it, then an old sheet stapled nice and tight...pin block it out flat while the girl is napping, then stand it upright behind a door someplace to dry all the way. alternatively, just use push pins on a wall you don't use much...or put up those stick on corkboard squares and use pushpins to block. ....you get the picture :)
oh...silly me...that scarf is gorgeous and you are so clever to make that work well for you...and kirchenering the whole durn thing....well that's pretty impressive..

jayne said...

Very soft and pretty.

TracyKM said...

You can blog a scarf hanging, especially good if you want it to stretch a little.

CatBookMom said...

Whee! I'm printing it off as I type. Thanks, Marie!!! It's lovely and I'm only sad that my "To Be Knitted NOW!" list is so long. Hugs for another great design.

Anonymous said...

i saw a photo once of some smart woman blocking her scarf around the edge of her matress

beautiful pattern!

hehehe the last part of my verification word is "yskp" lace,eh?