Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Petra Lace Scarf Pattern

.
It's amazing how much can be accomplished when Miss M spends the night with her grandparents. They took her for 2 nights! It was quite liberating for us. :-)

So here is what happens when I get a little more free time than I am accustomed to....

Elann Baby Cashmere, Dusky Lavender

I take a few balls of this yarn, Elann Baby Cashmere in the Dusky Lavender colorway, and ...

Circular knitting needles, size 3.75 mm (US5)

push them around this pair of 3.75 mm (US5) circular knitting needles, graft two halves, and ...

Petra Scarf blocking

block the result after a little soak in Eucalan wool wash, and ...

Petra Lace Scarf

end up with this little lacy scarf!!! I haven't done a lace scarf in quite a while because I have concentration issues, however I thought it was time for a little change after all the cable knitting I've been doing lately.

Pattern: Petra Lace Scarf (scroll down for pattern)
Yarn: Elann Baby Cashmere, Dusky Lavender
Needles: 3.75 mm (US5)

I can't say exactly why I was drawn to this design. Perhaps it is because it looks somewhat like a lacy version of the Marijke Scarf, both having 3 dangling "cherries". So of course I had to name this scarf Petra, after Marijke's friend, because of this small similarity between this scarf and the Marijke Scarf. This is just a basic lace scarf, nothing fancy. The pattern looks more complicated than it really is. After you start knitting a repeat or two, you will start to anticipate what comes next.

I love how soft Elann Baby Cashmere yarn is and I love love love the Dusky Lavender colorway. I've used this color before for Persephone Mitts in the same Elann Baby Cashmere yarn and also for Vicki's Persephone Scarf in Elann Highland Silk yarn (discontinued). I believe I even have some Elann Highland Wool yarn in this color too!!!

I knit this scarf using 3.75 mm (US5) size needles -- 2 sizes larger than the yarn label recommendation -- so that the scarf wouldn't turn out too open or too lacy. I think it came out just right. I wanted the lace pattern to be right-side up so I knit two halves and then used kitchener stitch (see link in sidebar) to graft them at the center. I knit 7 repeats of the pattern in each half. My scarf was around 8 inches x 46 inches before blocking. The finished size after blocking is 10 inches x 59 inches (25.5 cm x 150 cm).

Petra Scarf worn

Note: Pattern updated on 8 Sept 2008 to correct typo on Row 27. Please download this version if you have an earlier copy.



Petra Lace Scarf pattern:
Petra Lace Scarf Pattern from box.com (no registration required, just click on link & save file)

9 Nov 2008 update: Barbara at CatBookMom's Yarns created a chart for the Petra Lace Scarf. Barbara told me that the RS (odd numbers) rows are read from right to left and the WS rows are read from left to right. The chart has not been tested yet. If anyone knits from this chart, I would appreciate knowing whether it is OK. Thanks!

Petra Lace Scarf Chart created by Barbara at CatBookMom's Yarns can be downloaded here:
Petra Lace Scarf Chart from box.com.


Petra Lace Scarf close up


elann.com Peruvian Baby Cashmere
60% Baby Alpaca/ 30% Merino Wool/ 10% Cashmere
28 st/4 inches 3.25 mm (US 3)
100 m (109 yards) per 25g (0.88 oz) ball
$3.30 USD per ball


Stitches used in this scarf include:
Bell Lace, BW2 pg 291
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg 10

...

14 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! Love the color, and the pattern. You called it right on the needle size, too. Perfect.

Jean said...

This scard is so delicate and very pretty. I just finished the Persephone scarf and will be blocking it this weekend - any tips on this? I've never blocked cables before. I will be sending it to Canada to my best friend's sister = I think she will love it. I will more than likely post photos on my blog on Sunday or Monday - depending on drying time.

Hélène said...

Hum, I love it ! A great idea for a future Christmas gift... or for me :-) Thank you very much for the pattern.

Aunt Kathy said...

Now there is a scarf I would like to do, but alas I don't think I have the right yarn. {{{sigh}}}

Teenuh said...

That is a beautiful scarf. I saw it in my Ravelry stream and just had to run over here to gush over how much I love it!

Zia said...

Oh that's beautiful - thank you very much for the pattern. :)

hakucho said...

Awesome lace scarf! Beautiful color and so delicate :)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love the color and the pattern yummers!!!Hugs Darcy

Rachel said...

That's just gorgeous! Hmmm, I just knitted a scarf with three skeins of that stuff, but perhaps I'll frog it and re-knit it with your pattern. I like yours better, lol!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is such a gorgeous pattern! I'll be linking to this!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Simply beautiful! I love the pattern and the colour! I would love to do this up in my yarn...so many projects, so little time!

Robin said...

I have some handdyed cashmere just begging to be made into this scarf-thanks for the pattern links

Lazy Knits said...

A truly beautiful scarf!
I really love your blog your designs are great! thanks for posting up so many great patterns.

Cerita Pendek said...

thank you for sharing this pattern :)