Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Rosa Centifolia

Note:
1. More Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.
2. Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

What happens when you take this ball of yarn and push it around a needle for a week? Scroll down to see! :-)

This was my very first time working with Elann's Sonata yarn. I loved it! The yarn felt great in my hands. It has a nice sheen, and it comes in a gazillion solid & print colors!!! I love how they even list the solid colors which coordinate with the print colors. This yarn tended to split at times, so I'll have to remember to use blunt needles next time. I'd like to see how my Hobby Horse turns out in Pecan or Nougat Sonata. And I can see using Sonata for a baby blanket.

I think this is such a pretty cloth. I think I'll keep it for myself as a "spa" cloth. I just can't see using this in the kitchen. All the dishcloths I use in the kitchen have tea stains on them because they eventually end up underneath my teapot and/or tea cup. This is a very large cloth, about 8 in x 11 in (~20 cm x 28 cm), using DK weight yarn. I think this would be a lovely cloth worked up in something lighter, maybe fingerling weight. The pattern is from BW3 pg 183. As you all know, I can't knit from a chart (yes, it's still on my "to learn" list), so I translated the chart into row-by-row instructions. This is quite a tedious task -- even more tedious than knitting this pattern, lol -- but it's a method that works for me. I often hold up my knitting for DH to see and ask him what he thinks. His answers are as varied as answers to the Rorschach inkblot test. But this was one of the few times where he actually saw the pattern and said it looked like a flower. :-) Oh and even little M pointed at the cloth and said, "fow-wer."

Stitches used in this cloth include:
Cabbage-Rose Design, BW3 pg 183
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg 10
Stockinette Stitch, Bw1 pg 10



6/21/2008 Update: Corrected typos. Thanks Tara! (Tara on Ravelry)
Cabbage Rose Cloth pattern instructions can be downloaded from:
Cabbage Rose Cloth pattern from Box.com (no registration required, just click on link & save file)
Note: I knit this cloth directly from my notes, then transcribed them into this PDF file. I have not actually test knitted from this PDF file. I would appreciate it if you would let me know of any errors you encounter with the pattern.

I have a visual description of how to do the D4 quadruple decrease here:
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/02/d4-quadruple-decrease.html




.

1 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

what splendid patterns thank you, however, that I can them breien to greet Gea from the Netherlands