Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Seeded Rib Scarf

.


I had mentioned needing some mindless knitting to give my poor brain a rest from cable knitting. Here is a very easy reversible knit/purl unisex scarf pattern, you can almost do it blindfolded or in your sleep! This will be great for those last minute Christmas gifts. I love this Seeded Rib pattern from BW2 p7, it is totally reversible which makes for a great pattern for guy or gal. The pattern is adaptable to nearly any type of yarn, just use the appropriate needles for the yarn and adjust the number of stitches you cast on to get the width you need. You would need to cast on a multiple of 4 stitches plus 3 (such as: 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47, 51, 55, 59, 63, etc.).

Stitches used in this scarf include:
Seeded Rib Pattern, BW2 pg 7



Seeded Rib Easy Reversible Scarf

Using ~400 yds of worsted weight yarn and US8 needles, cast on 35 stitches.

Row 1: K3, * P1, K3 *
Row 2: K1, * P1, K3 *, end with P1, K1

Repeat rows 1 & 2 until desired length. Bind off.



It looks almost like true ribbing when worn. I actually knitted this one with 2 extra edge stitches (don't ask me why). My scarf came out to be about 6.5 inches wide and nearly 6 feet long.




Slightly stretched to show the gently undulating "ribbing" of the pattern. It makes a soft easy stretch scarf, not stiff at all like some true ribbings can be.

.

9 stitch(es):

junior_goddess said...

That would be good for the Red Scarf project!

Allison said...

It looks great. I like the "undulating ribbing" much more interesting than plain ribbing!

hakucho said...

Very pretty but simple scarf...thanks for the pattern!

happy knitting :)

Knitcrazy said...

Love the scarf..
I think it would be a Great Shawl in a wider fabric!!!
Thank You for the pattern..

Penny
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

Ali B said...

That is a great pattern & just what I need for my brother's Christmas present.
Thanks so much for posting it.
Ali

http://craft-matters.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT pattern to use for the middle ribbing section of a Seaman's Scarf. It uses up a lot of stitches, but still scrunches down well.

I'm actually wearing a sweater right now that has this stitch as the body! (Think a big "t" with the arms and yoke as the top bar - knit all in one piece like a long scarf - and the bottom the body.)

Anonymous said...

I made this scarf a while ago and now I've found your site again I just want to say this scarf came out great - thanks for all your beautiful patterns!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I wanted to make a Christmas gift for a friend who doesn't have any family but also wanted to keep it simple as a) he is a guy with simple style and wouldn't be bothered by which side of his scarf is showing and b) I have other gifts to knit and didn't want to take up too much time with cables. This will be great for my alpaca/silk!

Anonymous said...

I made this scarf for my boyfriend and he loved it! I was looking for a simple pattern that wasn't too feminine, and this one was perfect. Thanks for including pictures of the finished product and making the directions simple enough for a beginner.