Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Papillon Cloth

Note:
1. More Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.
2. Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

This is a pattern which came out of a Barbara Walker stitch dictionary -- BW4, pg234 if you're interested -- which is a charted design. Since I can't knit off of charts if my life depended upon it (it's yet another skill I need to learn), I painstakingly translated the chart into row-by-row instructions before adapting it into my washcloth design.

Stitches used in this cloth include:
Butterfly, BW4 pg 234
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg 10
Seed Stitch, BW1 pg 11
Stockinette Stitch, BW1 pg 10


Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.



Papillon Cloth pattern can be downloaded from:
Papillon Cloth Pattern from box.com (no registration required, just click on link & save file)


More butterfly cloths can be seen here: http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/07/butterflies.html

.

12 stitch(es):

Sara M. said...

Wow!! That is a beautiful cloth! I'll have to start one for myself ASAP! :o)

Kelley said...

Must. Knit. This. Today.

Love it!

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

Thanks for this! I had thought about adding this B. Walker pattern to the side of my sweater that i've been contemplating, but hesitate because it looked like it might be too big. So, i will work the cloth instead. You are a mind reader!

jayne said...

You seem to be the goddess of washcloths. This one is very cute!

TracyKM said...

Do you have any knitting software so you could make a chart of the design too? You can also download knitting graph paper on the internet. I used to be afraid of charts, but they are really handy with lace work. This is a really pretty cloth!

Anonymous said...

That is one lovely washcloth! Thanks for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

I just love the pattern for the Papillion, and I'm currently working 2 of them. Would you mind if I shared this pattern on my blog? Your work is just gorgeous!~~ Knit On!

Anonymous said...

I just knitted the butterfly, and its beautiful! But, I was a bit confused as you mentioned a step PYOP and had an explaination for it, but I never came across it in the rows.

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

My dear Marie,
(SIGH)
I managed to get as far as row 29 before I had to frog back to row 15. Now I am now hopelessly stuck at row 23. When I try to do purling row 24 I come up one stitch short all the time, so I must be doing something wrong with the S2TK1P stich in the previous row. I have reread your guide several times. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I do love the way the pattern is coming alive!

Anonymous said...

You're encouraging my butterfly fetish. I thank you very much, but my husband doesn't!

Giulia
KnitFree

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talent. Your patterns are beautiful! I'm just starting to knit, so your generosity in sharing so many free patterns makes this venture a little more do-able. Thanks!