Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Heart Lace Cloth

Note:
1. More Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.
2. Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.



I had originally planned on posting this on February 14th, for Valentine's Day. But then it dawned on my that people might be interested in knitting this before V-day. lol. So I'm posting it now. I don't know what I was thinking before... I blame it on M, who is sucking away all my energy and brain cells. One thing I have always known, and have recently reconfirmed, is that I can't do lace knitting while watching TV. I tried to knit this while watching Cadfael and Prime Suspect 2 (yeah, catching up by watching them out of order), but got nowhere on both.



You've probably noticed that I tend to favor lacy designs for my wash cloths. There are three reasons for this: I'm not as talented as the gals who design "picture" cloths; I think they're pretty; I believe they tend to dry faster. Of course that last one might just be my imagination. This Heart Lace Cloth is a pretty easy & quick knit. The only trick is to mind your yarn overs. I cast on 39 stitches for the pink cloth using P&C. I cast on 37 stitches for the red cloth using S&C. I usually think S&C is a smidgen thicker than P&C, and I think this is probably why both cloths came out to be about the same size. The red cloth would have been wider visibly wider than the pink one had I cast on 39 stitches instead.

Stitches used in this cloth include:
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg10
Heart Motif, BW3 pg 180
Stockinette Stitch, BW1 pg10



Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.



Heart Lace Cloth
© Designed by S.M. Kahn, Jan 2007
Smariek Knits -=<>=- http://smariek.blogspot.com

Please read "Notes" section at the bottom before starting, particularly the steps for the "M1" increase.

Directions are given for a wider cloth (pink one in photos), and a narrower cloth (red one in photos). It is narrower only by 2 stitches. Directions for the narrower cloth are given in parentheses. For example, cast on 39 sts for wider cloth, cast on 37 sts for narrow cloth. On row 12, K14 for wider cloth, K13 for narrower cloth.

Using WW kitchen cotton and US7 (4.5mm) needles, cast on 39(37) stitches.

Reminder again ... Please read "Notes" section at the bottom before starting. :-)

Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: Knit across
Row 3: Knit across
Row 4: Knit across
Row 5 (& all other odd WS rows): B3, Purl across, B3
Row 6: B3, Knit across, B3
Row 7: B3, Purl across, B3
Row 8: B3, Knit across, B3
Row 10: B3, K16(15), YO, SSK, K15(14), B3
Row 12: B3, K14(13), K2Tog, YO, K1-b, YO, SSK, K14(13), B3
Row 14: B3, K13(12), K2Tog, YO, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x2, K13(12), B3
Row 16: B3, K12(11), (K2Tog, YO)x2, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x2, K12(11), B3
Row 18: B3, K11(10), (K2Tog, YO)x2, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x3, K11(10), B3
Row 20: B3, K10(9), (K2Tog, YO)x3, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x3, K10(9), B3
Row 22: B3, K9(8), (K2Tog, YO)x3, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x4, K9(8), B3
Row 24: B3, K8(7), (K2Tog, YO)x4, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x4, K8(7), B3
Row 26: B3, K7(6), (K2Tog, YO)x4, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x5, K7(6), B3
Row 28: B3, K6(5), (K2Tog, YO)x3, K1-b, YO, SSK, YO, SK2TP, YO, K2Tog, YO, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x3, K6(5), B3
Row 30: B3, K5(4), (K2Tog, YO)x3, K1-b, YO, SSK, YO, SK2TP, YO, (K2Tog, YO)x2, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x3, K5(4), B3
Row 32: B3, K4(3), (K2Tog, YO)x3, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x2, YO, SK2TP, YO, (K2Tog, YO)x2, K1-b, (YO, SSK)x3, K4(3), B3
Row 34: B3, K5(4), (YO, K2Tog)x2, YO, SK2TP, YO, (SSK, YO)x2, K1-b, (YO, K2Tog)x2, YO, SK2TP, YO, (SSK, YO)x2, K5(4), B3
Row 36: B3, K4(3), (SSK, YO)x3, K1-b, (YO, K2Tog)x2, YO, SK2TP, YO, (SSK, YO)x2, K1-b, (YO, K2Tog)x3, K4(3), B3
Row 38: B3, K5(4), M1, YO, SSK, YO, D4, YO, K2Tog, YO, M1, K1, M1, YO, SSK, YO, D4, YO, K2Tog, YO, M1, K5(4), B3
Row 40: B3, K7(6), M1, YO, D4, YO, M1, K5, M1, YO, D4, YO, M1, K7(6), B3
Row 42: B3, K9(8), Cluster 3, K9, Cluster 3, K9(8), B3
Row 43: B3, Purl across, B3
Row 44: B3, Knit across, B3
Row 45: B3, Purl across, B3
Row 46: Knit across
Row 47: Knit across
Row 48: Knit across
Row 49: Knit across

Bind off. Weave in ends. Block.




Notes:

B3 = 3 stitch border of your choice (I used K3 for my border in the cloth above)

Cluster 3 = Slip 3 stitches to right needle with yarn in back. Pass yarn to the front. Slip the same 3 stitches from right needle to left needle. Pass yarn to the back. Knit 3.

D4 (Quadruple decrease: taking 5 stitches & reducing it down to 1 stitch) is done as follows:
1. Slip 3 stitches to the right needle.
2. Pass the 2nd stitch on the right needle over the 1st (center) stitch.
3. Slip the center stitch back to the left needle.
4. Pass the 2nd stitch on the left needle over the 1st (center) stitch.
5. Slip the center stitch back to the right needle.
6. Pass the 2nd stitch on the right needle over the 1st (center) stitch.
7. Slip the center stitch back to the left needle.
8. Pass the 2nd stitch on the left needle over the 1st (center) stitch.
9. Knit the center stitch.

D4 (Quadruple decrease: taking 5 stitches & reducing it down to 1 stitch), alternate version, is done as follows:
1. SSK.
2. K3Tog (knit 3 stitches together).
3. Pass the SSK stitch (from step #1) over the K3Tog stitch (from step #2).
Note: I'm adding this alternate version for doing D4 in case the original version above is too difficult.


K1-b = Insert needle into the back loop of the stitch and knit it.

K2TOG = Knit 2 stitches together

M1 (Increase 1 stitch: taking 1 stitch to create 1 more stitch, resulting in 2 stitches total) is done as follows:
1. Knit into the back of the stitch in the row below the 1st stitch on the left needle.
2. knit into the front of the 1st stitch on the left needle.

SSK = slip 1 stitch, slip 1 stitch, knit these two slipped stitches together

SK2TP = Slip 1 stitch, knit 2 stitches together, pass the slipped stitch over. (I think this is more commonly known as SK2P. I need that extra "T" as a visual reminder to myself that I'm knitting 2 stitches together. It's one of my beginner knitter quirks. You can see a video for how to do SK2P on this site here.)

YO = yarn over

Instructions in parentheses followed by x2 means you do what is in the paretheses the number of times indicated after "x". For example, (K2Tog, YO)x2 means you would do K2Tog, YO, K2Tog, YO.


Tips:

Mind your Yarn Overs ... :-)

When doing Cluster 3, give the yarn a good tug before knitting the 3 stitches.

D4 sounds confusing in words. You're taking the next 5 stitches on your left needle and reducing it down to 1 stitch. Let's number them from left to right as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. So this means that #5 is on the far right nearest the tip of your left needle, and #1 is on the far left furthest from the tip of your left needle. What you are going to do is slip #3, #4, & #5 to your right needle. Then pass #4 over #3. Slip #3 back to your left needle. Pass #2 over #3. Slip #3 back to your right needle. Pass #5 over #3. Slip #3 back to your left needle. Pass #1 over #3. You're left with stitch #3 which you just knit. I hope this sounds clearer?

I also have a visual description of how to do the D4 decrease here:
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/02/d4-quadruple-decrease.html


When doing D4, make sure you haven't "lost" your previous YO before you knit the center stitch.

I have added a walk through of row 38, for those of you who are having difficulties with stitch count on this row:
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/02/heart-lace-row-38-walk-through.html




.

24 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute!!! Thanks for the new patterns.

Anonymous said...

So Pretty! I just referred a friend to your blog, as she is looking for a series of dishcloth patterns for a challenge project for her spinning group.
BTW, personal opinion - lace takes as much or more talent to design than knit/purl pictures. Not dissing the pictures, just appreciating your talent/perseverance.

TracyKM said...

That's so nice! In a cotton chenille, it'd also make a great washcloth. Add some bubblebath, some wine glasses, a coupon for babysitting...LOL.
Do you create these from scratch, or do you use a stitch dictionary? I don't know if I've ever seen a lace heart pattern in any of mine. I'll have to look! I think you should put these all together and self-publish a little book!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! You are so talented. I love this design. Great job and thanks for sharing it with everyone.

g-girl said...

wow, these are so pretty! Now I know just what to make for the funknittingdishcloths kal. :) I'm feeling inspired again!

Anonymous said...

These are so pretty! My sister is discovering knitting, loves to do dishcloths. I think these would inspire her to expand her options beyong the "ball-band" patterns. I am waiting on some Ruby HS to work on your lovely "Persephone" :).

V. said...

S - these are very pretty.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this!! Toooo cute! I can't wait to knit it up. You have shared some of the most wonderful patterns with all of us.
Thanks soooo much!

Manda said...

I'm really enjoying all of your lace patterns. The greatest benefit of lace, IMHO, is that the resulting cloth isn't as thick as the usual garter stitch, ballbands, etc. I actually use my dishcloths to wash dishes and, as much as I love to knit Garterlac and the like, it's really hard to get them wedged down inside a glass to clean it out!

Anonymous said...

Merci, your cloths are beautiful. I look forward to starting on the heart cloth soon. Warmly, Chayah

Anonymous said...

Hi would you have been better to said at the beginning of the SK2TP knit 2 together instead of "Knit 2 stitches" as this is going to confuse someone who hasn't done this kind of stitch before..
Thanks it's, and all the others are, great patterns once I worked that stitch out

Anonymous said...

waw,
i love your blog
very nice patterns,
thanks!!

groet Gea

Anonymous said...

Hi Smariek! You've been tagged! Go to http://phknit.blogspot.com to see what it's all about! Happy knitting!
Paula

Mary B said...

Thanks for the great pattern. I really loved making this. I have been sampling all the valentine's dishcloth patterns I can find. Yours is the most challenging and it's just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love this cloth, but as I was making it, I ran into problems on line 38. I only come up with 35 stitches, not 39 - could you check and see if there is a typo on that line.
thanks for the gorgeous patterns.
Mardeen

Anonymous said...

I'm fourteen years old, and I love to knit. When I found this pattern, I began knitting it RIGHT away. It was very hard when it got towards the bottom, but I LOVED it. :D Keep knitting, and keep posting!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to say your designs are lovely and very impressive! You shouldn't call yourself a "neophyte knitter." I think you are underestimating yourself!
Can't wait to try some of these.
thanks so much for sharing,
carol

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I knit your lovely washcloth pattern. It was my first time with a lace sort of thing and it was great! I didn't have any problem with the mysterious Row 38 but did make sure to constantly mind my yarn overs and stitch count. The ONLY thing I didn't do great was the cluster 3. I read your note about tugging but completely forgot by the time I got to that part. Oh well I still love it and am very proud of it. It's on my blog if you'd care to see it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The lace dishcloth is so beautiful! I hate to admit that I am one of those struggling with Row 38. Maybe someone can get me on track.

It's the D4 I have trouble with. O.K., Step #1. I slipped 3 sts to my R needle. What am I missing on step #2? "pass the 2nd st on R needle over the 1st (center) st." Isn't the 2nd st on the R needle the center st if you have 3 slipped sts on the R needle??

Cannot wait for the butterfly dishcloth; how gorgeous! If one has to wash dishes, it may as well be with something pleasing.

Thanks, and please keep posting your beautiful designs.

Sandra

Anonymous said...

Tout simplement MAGNIFIQUE!

Simply magnificent!

Thanks for sharing!:-)

Anonymous said...

I mentioned your lace heart dishcloth on my blog this morning. It was just what I was looking for, thanks for the design!

Terrye
knitting.craftgossip.com

Anonymous said...

nice post

Pooch said...

Gorgeous,lacey pattern. Thank you for sharing it!

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing. hugs from Italy