Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Vine Lace Cloth

Note:
1. More Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.
2. Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.


I know you guys are probably sick of seeing most of my cloths in that dark green yarn, so here are pictures of my Vine Lace cloth in some other colors: S&C Buttercream, P&C Orange Sherbet, and P&C Tea Rose. And of course there's one in green too. :-)



The Buttercream cloth has a garter stitch border. I haven't decided which border I prefer. I like them both!




This one is the Tea Rose cloth. I really love this color! I was trying to see whether it was a close enough color to the rose section of the Lingua Latina book. It's not really a good color match. But I do like how this picture shows off the pattern. My head on shots of the cloth didn't look as good.




This one in Dark Pine (I think that is what it was called?) has a seed stitch border.




.
This Orange Sherbet cloth has a seed stitch border. There's actually a bit of a boo boo in this cloth. :-( That's what happens when I'm knitting in dim lighting.

Stitches used in this cloth include:
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg 10
Stockinette Stitch, BW1 pg 10
Vine Stripe Pattern, BW2 pg 272


Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.



Vine Lace Cloth
© Designed by S.M. Kahn, October 2006
Smariek Knits -=<>=- http://smariek.blogspot.com

Using WW cotton yarn, and US7 (4.5mm) needles, cast on 37 stitches.

Knit 4 rows of seed stitch border.
Row 1 : B4, P29, B4
Row 2 : B4, K1, * K3, (YO, K1)x2, SSK, K3, K2TOG, K2 *, B4
Row 3 : B4, P29, B4
Row 4 : B4, K1, * (K3, YO)x2, K1, SSK, K1, K2TOG, K2 *, B4
Row 5 : B4, P29, B4
Row 6 : B4, K1, * K3, YO, K5, YO, K1, SK2TP, K2 *, B4
Row 7 : B4, P29, B4
Row 8 : B4, K1, * K1, SSK, K3, K2TOG, (K1, YO)x2, K4 *, B4
Row 9 : B4, P29, B4
Row 10 : B4, K1, * K1, SSK, K1, K2TOG, K1, (YO, K3)x2, K1 *, B4
Row 11 : B4, P29, B4
Row 12 : B4, K1, * K1, K3TOG, K1, YO, K5, YO, K4 *, B4
Repeat Rows 1 through 12 three more times (for a total of 4 repeats).
Work one more row of B4, P29, B4
Knit 4 rows of seed stitch border.
Bind off and weave in ends.

Notes:

Seed stitch top & bottom rows = (K1, P1) across to penultimate stitch, end last stitch K1. Or you can use whatever border rows you prefer.

B4 = 4 stitch seed stitch border. K1, P1, K1, P1 at beginning of row. P1, K1, P1, K1 at end of row. Or use whatever border stitch you prefer.

K2TOG = Knit 2 stitches together

K3TOG = Knit 3 stitches together

SK2TP = slip one stitch, knit 2 stitches together, pass slipped stitch over

SSK = slip one stitch, slip another stitch, knit these two slipped stitches together

Instructions in parentheses followed by x2 mean you do what is in the paretheses twice. For example, (YO, K1)x2 means YO, K1, YO, K1.

Everything between asterisks (* ... *) are repeated once more before you do the 4 border stitches at the end of the row.

.

I usually do my knitting on the go, in the car while my little girl is napping. Here's a picture of the pattern I carried around with me, it got tossed into the little Bumble & Bumble bag along with my yarn & needles. It's the perfect size bag for my dishcloths, and the plastic handles stick up (not like "rope" that droops down), so it's easy to pick up. It goes between house & car. I also like this bag because it doesn't make loud crinkly noises as much as the little Bath & Body Works bag I use for my other car project; that one stays in the car.



.

6 stitch(es):

Jana B said...

Wow, that one is cute!!!! I may have to try and make it, if I feel brave enough.

Michele said...

I love this pattern! When I saw it posted in the photos of our Yahoo Group I knew I needed to do this cloth....

Thanks so much for posting the pattern... Its very, very pretty.

Claudia said...

I hadn't seen this pattern before, but I absolutely love it! I love anything with trees or leaves and this is perfect! Thank you for a wonderful pattern. I can't wait to try it!

CatBookMom said...

I like the pattern very much, but it is quite different than the Vine Lace that's in Barbara Walker's Treasury #1. I don't have a good closeup of her adaptation, but I'm definitely going to copy your version, since it will work well for scarves and even for stoles. Thanks, Mme. Creative Knitter!

Anonymous said...

I can't help thinking that they're just too nice to ever be used as dishcloths.

Have you ever considered sewing them together?

Like, lots of them?

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

I love this pattern, but mine always comes out uneven (I don't have 2 complete repeats between the asterisks). Ah well, it's pretty, even the way I'm doing it.

Thanks!