Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Ugly Knitting




What happens when you knit with ugly yarn? You get ugly knitted items!!!

Yes, I'm still working on knitting charity hats with this big ball of yarn. I am so uninspired to knit with this because I hate the yarn. Everything I make with it looks the same! I've made 3 hats with this blue variegated yarn and they look pretty much the same from a distance. You can only distinguish their differences/pattern when looking at them up close. The photo above shows two of them side by side, as you can see they look quite unremarkable and you can barely tell they are two different hats.




This is the hat on the left, my 3AM Cable Hat pattern. I worked about 2.5 inches of ribbing, then did 4 repeats of rounds 1 through 8, then worked the decrease.




The hat on the right is my 3 Cables Hat from Dec 2006, which I never typed up the pattern to because I just couldn't imagine anyone wanted to knit this after looking at this photo. I will have to knit it up in a solid colored yarn, then see if anyone might be interested in the hat pattern...

The other hat I knitted with this ugly blue yarn is my Quinquevulnera Hat, you can see a photo of that by clicking on this link. I think that's all the things I've knitted with this yarn. Gosh, I don't remember, but these are the only 3 hats I can think of.

These hats will live their lives out as chemo hats for local cancer patients. I knitted them for the Cap Karma Chemo Cap project. We've collected a bunch of suggested hat patterns on that site, you can check them out here.

--<>--




I finally opened up the box of chocolates from V, which she picked up while in Brussels last December. I didn't want to open them until I was recovered from my cold, so I could fully enjoy them. :-)




Aren't these little chocolates cute? Thanks V! We love the chocolates...

--<>--

How much (or little) knitting have I done recently? I mentioned some stats here, and thought I'd give you a little update.

Mon ... 468 stitches.
Tues ... 520 stitches.
Wed ... 0 stitches.
Thurs ... 0 stitches.
Fri ... 192 stitches
Sat ... ~ 1,400 stitches. YAY!
Sun ... 0 stitches so far, but it's still early, so we'll see. Any guesses?
Ok, I've gotta go. Miss M has woken from an unexpected morning nap. Time to go entertain her...


.

3 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

I agree that the yarn doesn't do the cap designs justice, but I'm not so sure I'd call it "ugly." It's just that the contrast between the blue and white is pretty stark, and obliterates any complicated design. It might be useful for knitting washcloths. My mother's kitchen is blue and white like that, sort of a "blue willow" effect. Actually, that yarn would go really well with blue willow china, if you have any or any friends that have the stuff.

LisaW. said...

Not ugly, not ugly at all...just not the best marriage of pattern/yarn...but still useful, go with many things, basic, very nicely knit caps. you are waaaay too hard on yourself! Try miters or entrelac-in both garter and stockinette, with this, you might be more pleased (or you may go blind with dullness). Yummy chocolates! You are so strong to have waited...glad you are feeling better. enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So, umm, the chemo patients are getting the ugly hats...? Just askin'....