Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Quinquevulnera MK Hat

Note:
1. More Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.
2. Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.



I'm doing a series of "Mindless Knitting" hats which are very easy and/or boring to knit. I wanted to make some hats that I could easily put down and then later pick up without scratching my head trying to figure out where I was in the pattern. And I wanted something that I could easily knit in dim lighting, or even while talking to DH without having to worry about losing count. Besides, V is always telling me that I should choose simpler patterns, or that things don't always need to be hard (actually this was in reference to learning Latin, but I'm sure it also applies to knitting, lol). So these Mindless Knitting hats so are easy/boring that you can basically do them without having to refer to the pattern. There's nothing fancy about them, mostly basic knit/purl, no cables, no yarn overs, twist stitches, etc. They're so simple that you don't even need a row counter to help you keep track of which round you're in.



Here is my Quinquevulnera MK Hat, the second hat in my "Mindless Knitting" series of hats. The first was the Sarawakense Hat. This is hat #8 for the Cap Karma Chemo Cap Project. Are you wondering how I came up with the names for these two hats? Well, I pulled them out of a hat! Ok, not really, but there is a theme to the names. Can you figure it out? Anyways, since the hats are pretty simple & plain, I thought it would be nice balance that out with an "interesting" sounding name. Silly, huh?

The hat is basically a simple checkerboard pattern of plain & seed stitch squares. The decrease at the top was done "in pattern"; I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture above. The picture below just shows you a closeup of the checkerboard pattern. I'm not sure you can see it very well with the variegated yarn. The pattern is very easy to memorize and figure out by reading your knitting as you go.

Stitches used in this hat include:
Seed Block Stitch, BW1 pg 20
Stockinette Stitch, BW1 pg 10




Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.


Quinquevulnera "Mindless Knitting" Hat
© Designed by S.M. Kahn, November 2006
Smariek Knits -=<>=- http://smariek.blogspot.com

Using Worsted Weight yarn, US8 (5mm) needles, cast on 90 stitches.
Join in a round, careful not to twist the stitches.

Knit 8 rounds.

Round 1: * K5, (P1, K1)x2, P1 *
Round 2: * K6, (P1, K1)x2 *
Round 3: * K5, (P1, K1)x2, P1 *
Round 4: * K6, (P1, K1)x2 *
Round 5: * K5, (P1, K1)x2, P1 *
Round 6: * (P1, K1)x2, P1, K5 *
Round 7: * (K1, P1)x2, K6 *
Round 8: * (P1, K1)x2, P1, K5 *
Round 9: * (K1, P1)x2, K6 *
Round 10: * (P1, K1)x2, P1, K5 *

Repeat Rounds 1 to 10 three more times.

Decrease "in pattern", or just knit those stitches:

DRound 1: Work 13 stitches, K2tog
DRound 2: Work 12 stitches, K2tog
DRound 3: Work 11 stitches, K2tog
DRound 4: Work 10 stitches, K2tog
DRound 5: Work 9 stitches, K2tog
DRound 6: Work 8 stitches, K2tog
DRound 7: Work 7 stitches, K2tog
DRound 8: Work 6 stitches, K2tog
DRound 9: Work 5 stitches, K2tog
DRound 10: Work 4 stitches, K2tog
DRound 11: Work 3 stitches, K2tog
DRound 12: Work 2 stitches, K2tog
DRound 13: Work 1 stitch, K2tog
DRound 14: K2tog

Cut yarn & pull through remaining 6 stitches. Weave in ends.


Notes:

K2Tog = Knit 2 stitches together

Instructions in parentheses followed by x2 means you do what is in the paretheses twice. For example, (P1, K1)x2 means you do the following: P1, K1, P1, K1.


.

4 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

What a nice hat! I like the striping yarn a lot. Just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog. You've made some beautiful hats and washcloths. Can't wait to see what you do with the Highland Silk!

Kelly(girl)

Anonymous said...

What a nice pattern! I make mindless hats too in preemie size. I'm going to try your pattern next. I just tried a Barbara Walker pattern that was really easy - it's 3 rows of K3P3 ribbing, 3 rows of knit, 3 rows of K3P3 ribbing and 3 rows of purl. Easy and has a bit of stretch to it.

Unknown said...

Hi, I like this hat pattern. I've never done a hat before but would like to try so mindless is good for me. I may be missing something but what size do you think this would come out as?

smariek said...

I think the hat was a ladies small. You can resize the hat by casting on more stitches in multiples of 10.