Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Asherton Hat

Ok, I finally got around to transcribing the pattern from my scribbled notes. This is based on the same pattern as the Asherton Reversible Scarf. Sorry the picture above and the 2 pictures below don't come out very well. It's just like taking a picture of my other red hat (chemo hat #3). There's something funky about trying to take pictures of something red, I just can't get it to work out with my camera! Sigh...

You can see a better picture of the red hat, plus the slightly smaller pink version here:
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/09/asherton-hat-pink.html

Most store bought hats labeled "small" are a bit loose on me. This hat is a little large on me so I would call this a ladies small/medium. If I were making this hat for myself, I would skip the 5 knit rounds in the decrease (viz. decrease rounds 1, 2, 4, 6, & 8), as this makes a shorter hat that fits my head perfectly. I added the extra knit rounds in the pattern to make the hat longer as I always believe that it is better to err on the side of a longer hat whose brim can be rolled up, rather than a shorter hat which will never stay put or keep you warm. I have a shorter version in pink, you can see pictures of it here : http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/09/asherton-hat-pink.html

Well, since I botched the hat I was making for my 18 month little girl, I am redid her hat with this Asherton hat pattern instead of the watch cap pattern I was working on for her. Her version of the Asherton hat was made with Cleckheaton Country 8-Ply DK superwash wool. You can see a picture of the toddler Asherton Hat & pattern here : http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/10/asherton-hat-for-toddler.html

This is the first hat for the next round of chemo hats collected for donation to the UCSF Medical Center.

Stitches used for this hat include:
Knit-Two Purl-Two Ribbing, BW1 pg 39
Moss Diamond and Lozenge Pattern, BW2 pg 17

Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.



Asherton Hat pattern:
Asherton Hat Pattern from box.com (no registration required, just click on link & save file)




I hope Pooh bear didn't mind being the model for my hat. I'd put it on my little girl (18 months), but she can't stay still enough for me to snap a picture.





.

2 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that Pooh Bear.

We must be next to each other on the free pattern blog ring, I get a lots of hits from your site.

And that's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I both made this hat a couple of days ago and we are both very pleased with the results. She made the shorter version and I made the longer version. I prefer mine to hers! Thanks for the pattern!