Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Eeew... what's that?!



This is the cabinet underneath the master bath sink at the new house. What's that dark stuff way in the back? Let's take a closer look...




This is the left side. It kinda looks like some sort of dried plant matter?





There's more of the same stuff on the right side...




And it runs across the back edge too....

Is that gross or what? I have no idea what this stuff is. Why is it growing out the back edge of the bathroom cabinet?

One bedroom closet is on the other side of this bathroom wall, and the closet side looks fine...

.

14 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

It's hairy looking. That's so gross I'd have to hire someone to deal with it. I'm amazed you even got close enough to it to take the photos.

Teresa said...

I am not sure but I would guess that is steel wool or something similar. It is often used to block holes or gaps to keep mice and other critters from entering your home. Just a guess but I don't think it is anything growing. It could probably be removed and the gap sealed in some other way.
Just my two cents.
Teresa

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Teresa. Those were my initial thoughts exactly.

LisaW. said...

looks like some form of insulation to me...if it's dry...it's not growing..if it's damp or slimy wet...well then i'd go for bleaching the crap out of it to kill it. However, it does look like horsehair or steelwool or some other crackplug insulating stuff. but under a sink...where you would assume moisture..ewww the aesthetics are pretty uucky!

Enid said...

Looks like fiber. have you tried spinning it?

LOL

No seriously. I know it sound gross but does it have an odor? like moisture?
Thats my 2 cents.

hehee

hakucho said...

Looks kind of like steel wool to me as well. I know that it's a good for preventing mice from squeezing through (they will chew through just about anything, but steel wool) small holes and cracks. But, if that is something growing...that is gross!!! Monster fungus of some kind?

Good luck...you certainly need it :) Isn't it fun being a home owner?

Anonymous said...

Me thinks it is steel wool too. Works like a charm to keep wee micey critters from entering. I've used it myself a time or two.

I giggled at the suggestion you spin it.

Woman who knits said...

OH NO!! I have no idea what it is!! I hope that you can find out what it is!!

Joan said...

Oy vey. Why didn't your home inspector find that sucker??
Good luck! Maybe you could knit something to cover it up? ;-p

Unknown said...

It could be black mold. I would get a health inspector in to get a determination tight away. Black mold is unhealthy.

Cora

Anonymous said...

Pod people, setting up shop for the new residents...

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

MOLD!!!! GET THE BLEACH OUT, HONEY AND GO TO TOWN ON THAT SUCKER! And check for leaks because that water is coming from somewhere!

Welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership! :)

EllenG said...

I echo, welcome to the world of home ownership ;)

That looks like moss. We have it growing on our foundation. It likes damp areas. There has been some water spills from that sink. you can see the water marks on the wood.

If it's still damp get that fixed first...Dry rot (not so dry) will follow next if you don't.

If it's dry now, or when the leak is fixed, spray that with bleach. It will bleach out the wood too, but will kill any mold or fungus or moss that is growing in that nice damp area.

Anonymous said...

did you ever find out what that was?

I i really want to know.

moe

big_Moe_1@hotmail.com