Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Booking Through Thursday



This week's question:

Do you have multiple copies of any of your books?
If so, why? Absent-mindedness? You love them that much? First Editions for the shelf, but paperbacks to read?
If not, why not? Not enough space? Not enough money? Too sensible to do something so
Yes, I'm pretty sure I do. Like DVDs or CDs, I can't remember which ones I already own. There are two that come to mind, only because I recently came across them as I was packing stuff for our house move. I came across two copies of The Other Side Of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon. I was in a Sidney Sheldon phase way back when I was in high school. I haven't gotten around to reading some of his newer works. I also came across two copies of Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas. He's one of my favorite authors, and out of his novels I have read, I'd have to say The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite. Gotta love a good revenge story. Oh, another book I came across two copies of was Fundamentals of Data Structures in Pascal by Horowitz and Sahni. Eeks! I'm not kidding, here's a photo of both:



We have 2 copies of K&R's C book, a couple of Andrew Tanenbaum books. We have 3 copies of Stroustrupp's C++ book, of varying editions.

Here are some of the OLD geeky books we came across. We put some on one of the shelves at our new house. Several of these were duplicates, so we'll keep one copy and toss the dupes. We probably should have sorted through all our books before moving them to the new house. I'm thinking we'll toss these ones you see on this shelf. Not to worry, we've got plenty more geeky computer/math books in the "keep" pile...



My Shelfari Bookshelf, http://www.shelfari.com/Smariek, will give you an idea of what kind of crap I have... lol. I'm still entering more books as I come across them. Next to be added are a bunch of PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie books. I'm a bit frustrated by not being to add everything into Shelfari as many books are too old, obscure, or foreign so they don't come at all in the Shelfari book database.


.

9 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

I do have multiple copies of a few movies. I have the VHS and DVD. Happy BTT!

Marianne Arkins said...

I don't have duplicates really. And I prefer Library Thing to Shelfari for just the reason you noted.

Happy BTT!

Alice said...

I don't have duplicates. I database all my book in BookDB. Happy BTT!

Chris said...

Killer DOS Utilites sounds like a page turner!

pussreboots said...

I'm building my own book database to track down the duplicates. :P

Happy BTT.

Anonymous said...

I have several of one authors(see my post)
I LOVE PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Count of Monte Cristo. The only book I have two of. It is amazing, though I didn't at first think so because of the 800 page unabridged dragged-out version I had. But it's not just a great revenge work; I think it's also somewhat telling about human nature, yes?

V. said...

Those books on the shelves look about as interesting as our engineering books!

Joan said...

Wow, what a project!