Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Wheee!

.
DH went shopping one day and look what fell into the shopping basket... a Nintendo Wii !!!



When you open the side, you find 2 little trays...



of stuff...



So we've borrowed some games, and I have to say I am hooked on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play:



Missy finds Mario Kart really cute (and so do I up to a certain point):



And I am undecided on Boom Blox:



... because it is frustratingly addictive and addictively frustrating.

Other reasons to go wheeee! include these:

Lots and lots of Cherry Tree Hill Super Solids. :-D





Quite bright!



This is a good guy color.





Whenever I see this color, I always think of the nursery rhyme here we go round the mulberry bush.











The one above is bright!




Lovely shade.





Although nice, this is rather boring...



Not sure if my old eyes will enjoy knitting with this last color. They are all really beautiful. I picked them up with socks in mind, then later noticed that they're all 100% merino with no nylon content, so perhaps socks isn't such a good idea. Maybe mitts then... lotsa mitts! lol

I have never worked from hanks before so not sure what I need to do. Maybe this makes a good excuse to get one of these Mama Bear Swifts, which means I would also need a Ball Winder too.
.
Copyright © Smariek Knits 2005-2009. All full copyright rights are reserved by Smariek Knits.

21 stitch(es):

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Pretty colors! I just wind mine by hand, but someone needs to hold the hank on two hands while I wind. Sometimes it's hard to find the right yarn holder...

Enjoy the Wii!

Aunt Kathy said...

Remember that mess of yarn I showed on my blog the other day? I called it spaghetti yarn... yeah that was in a hank I tried to wind by hand. I tried the back of a chair, around my ankles, lol... and I am horrible at it. I have several hanks here now that I refuse to even touch until I have help.

I love those colors though. I have been playing our WII too, I am curious about the boom game... what do you do with that one?

Suzann said...

Cherry Hill is a lovely sock yarn. Knit at a firm gauge it makes great socks. You do need to roll them into balls though. I use to use a lamp shade with the final loosened so it would spin around. I did have a ball winder. Later I got a swift. One of the flat table models.
Lovely colors

Rachel said...

Wow, that's some serious stash enhancing! Lovely!

(Oh, you can get a ball-winder and swift, but if you don't think you'd use it much, just unroll the hank, and put it over your shoulder like a purse. You can knit directly from it that way. When you're taking a break from your knitting, gently slip the hank off your shoulder and rewind into a hank.)

Jean said...

I actually have been using one of my bed pillows to hold the yarn while I wind it into a ball, a little slow, but it works just fine. I am so jealous of all that beautiful yarn, Cherry Tree Hill is lovely to knit with. You may also want to try Lorna's Laces. I've knitted with Opal, but it is a bit too firm for my taste. Enjoy!!!

junior_goddess said...

I drape mine on a chair back.

You do have a lot to WHEEE about!

Unknown said...

Whee is right! Can I say envious? I want a Wii. And a bunch of CTH. the colors are great!
Ok, I will live vicariously through you. Show more pics of you all playing the Wii and FO's of your yarn purchase!

edina said...

Lovely yarn! I highly recommend a swift and ball winder - they are so worth it!

Georgi said...

Enjoy the Wii (I love ours) and love the yarn :-)

SusanB-knits said...

What gorgeous colors of CTH! I've made some socks with some and it is great! I bet it would make wonderful mitts. What a nice addition to your stash.

Unknown said...

Beautiful colours. You can use a chair back to hold the yarn while you rewind it by hand, but sometimes a purpose built winder just makes life easier. I've spent the last two nights untangling a hank of yarn I've had for a couple of years, unfortunately it was at the bottom of a bag and its been manhandled slightly. I loved the yarn when I bought it but I think all those knots may have taken the enjoyment out of it.

I can't wait to see what you make with these.

Anonymous said...

You have just received the creative blogger award. Read my post at
http://kkhymn.wordpress.com/2009/02/15/kreativ-blogger-awards/

cici said...

I love wii.. its so much fun!

Teresa said...

You should try Wii Play. Missy will love the fishing, riding the cows, duck hunt, etc. We have a blast with it. On Wii Sports our favorite is bowling but the tennis is quite fun as well. Probably better suited for the older crowd. And then there is Wii Fit. Love it, love it, love it!
I love your yarn as well but believe me your knitting time may take a hit from the Wii.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I'm back to let you know, I tagged you for an award on my blog today!

Claudia said...

I own a swift and I LOVE it! I will never wind by hand again. I got hooked (so to speak) after watching them wind my hanks at my local yarn store whenever I'd go there to buy a hank or two. Now I buy online and wind my own. And friends sometimes come by to wind their hanks here, too! LOL

Renna said...

I didn't click on your last links, but I'm assuming the "one of these" is a ball winder and an umbrella swift. They're on my wish list, too. I have been taking my hanks to a craft store downtown and getting her to wind mine for me (very accommodating, huh?), but that store closed down last week...sigh.

Have fun with your wii!

Teenuh said...

Beautiful CTH colorways. I really love their sock yarn base. It is so lovely. A friend of a friend is a pattern designer for them and so she can get their undyed base yarn at a great price, so last summer I got to dye some of it. I so love my CTH socks I knit. I need to get busy knitting more of them!

rita said...

I have a ball-winder and a swift, but they fit NOTHING at my house. All of the furniture is too thick. So for the past three years, I drape the hanks of yarn around my knees and wind by hand. It's time-consuming, but it gets done, and I can wind hanks in the car, the airport, wherever I happen to be. Not that I won't use them again if we ever get a desk or something that I can put them on....

I use Claudia's Hand Painted Yarn, 100% merino, for socks and haven't had trouble with it wearing out. I don't wear my handknit socks with shoes, just clogs.

maryeb said...

I have sooo been wanting to try a Wii. Glad one found its' way into DH's cart :)
Love the yarn too. I'm not sure which I'd be more excited about.
Looks like you'll be having some fun!

Cesia said...

Pretty colors!

As for the Wii, if you want a really silly (aka fun) game, try Wario Smooth Moves. :)

- Cesia.
http://www.designbycece.com