Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

HUGe - Part 3

.
This is Part 3 in a series on the 2008 HUGe swap.
Click here for Part 1.
Click here for Part 2.
Related post: 08Jan2009 post - 21 Photos - Elann HUGe 2008 Swap, Group 1 box


7 Bangles

Bangle #7:


Bangle #7

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do for Bangle #7. I had an idea in my mind about doing a lacy type pattern that would allow the color of the bangle to show through. I started by trying out the Miniature Leaf pattern from BW1, held it over a few different colored bangles and did really like what I saw. I tried the lacy pattern on a silver/mirror finish bangle and a red colored one. Neither lookde quite right to me.

Version 2 was this zig zaggy pattern which you can see is too subtle for this project. You could barely see the zig zags and it is even less noticeable when considering that only a thin sliver of the middle section would exposed on the bangle. I was afraid people might look at it and think the pattern was just totally random or just botched up.



In the end I decided to try the Double Texture Cable from BW3 pg 70. I thought it was interesting because half the cable is plain stockinette and the other half is seed stitch. Unfortunately the pattern loses some impact on this black yarn. You can see what the swatch looked like in the photo above.


Elann Baby Silk yarn, black color

The yarn I used for this is a fingerling (sock) weight yarn, Elann Baby Silk. I've had this yarn since August 2005, and it took me 3 years before I finally dug it out to do somethnig with it. This one was a challenge to knit because the dark yarn made it difficult to see, and I was knitting it using 2.75 mm (US2) needles.


Black bangle

I used a black colored bangle for this one. The upside of using a black bangle is that with black yarn, I didn't have to worry about the bangle showing through in a bad way. :-) Seaming this took quite a bit longer than any of previous bangles due to the difficulty of seeing black yarn.

My personal notes on how I made this bangle:

Elann Baby Silk, Black
2.75 mm (US2)
Black bangle.
Circumference = ~11.25 inches (29 cm)
Width (all around) = 3 inches (7.5 cm)

Cast on 22 stitches.
Rows 1, 3, 15, 17, 19: K7, (P1, K1)x2, P4, K7
Rows 2, 16, 18, 20: P7, K4, (K1, P1)x2, P7
Row 4: P7, slip 4 sts to CN & hold in back, (K1, P1)x2, K4 from CN, P7
Rows 5, 7, 9 , 11, 13: K7, P4, (P1, K1)x2, K7
Rows 6, 8, 10, 12: P7, (K1, P1)x2, K4, P7
Row 14: P7, slip 4 sts onto CN & hold in back, K4, (K1, P1)x2 from CN, P7
Repeat Rows 1 to 20 for pattern.


7 Bangles
----------<>----------

Bangle #8


Bangle #8

As basic as this cable came out, it actually took me 5 tries before I decided on how wide the cable should be and how many rows to cable on. I had an idea of using the Eccentric Cable from BW1 and started with a 3-over-3 cable every 6th and 12th rows. Then tried 4-over-4 cable ever 6th and 12th rows. The cable didn't seem wide enough, so third try was 6-over-6 cable every 8th and 16th rows. Then I changed the interval by doing a 6-over-6 cable every 12th and 24th rows. I didn't like the Eccentric Cable style, so changed this back to cabling every 12th row.


Red bangle

I knit this one with sock/fingerling weight yarn, Elann Sock It To Me in the latte color using 2.75 mm (US2) needles. The yarn is the same one I used for Bangle #6. And I used a transparent red bangle like the one above.

My personal notes on how I made this bangle:

Elann Sock It To Me, Latte
2.75 mm (US2)
Red bangle.
Circumference = ~11.25 inches (29 cm)
Width (all around) = 3 inches (7.5 cm)

Cast on 26 stitches.
Row 1 and all odd rows: K7, P12, K7
Row 2 and all even rows except for 6 and 18: P7, K12, P7
Row 6 & 18: P7, CF12, P7
Repeat rows 1 to 24 for pattern.

CF12 = Slip 6 stitches onto cable needle and hold in front. Knit 6 stitches. Knit 6 stitches from cable needle.

-----------<>----------

Bangle #9


Bangle #9

Here's Bangle #9. At this point I finally felt like I could finish the project before the deadline. I needed to make 10 items, so making one more should be a cinch. I was really worried about making the deadline to mail the bangles to Theresa, because I was making these bangles at a rate of 2 per month.



This was knit in the same yarn as Bangle #8, Elann Sock It To Me in Latte color with 2.75 mm (US2) needles. I decided to take a break from cables and do a simple Double Seed Stitch pattern. I used a charcoal colored bangle for this one.




My personal notes on how I made this bangle:

Elann Sock It To Me, Latte
2.75 mm (US2)
Charcoal bangle.
Circumference = ~11.25 inches (29 cm)
Width (all around) = 3 inches (7.5 cm)

Cast on 24 stitches
Rows 1 & 2: * K2, P2 *
Rows 3 & 4: * P2, K2 *
Repeat Rows 1 to 4 for pattern.

----------<>----------

Bangle #10


Bangle #10

I still had plenty of the Elann Sock It To Me Yarn to make another bangle with it, however it was definitely time to use a different yarn and/or color. Looking at the 9 bangles made so far, there is a heavy slant towards the browns/tans. I think it is a good neutral color for most people, but really, it can be too much of a good thing!!! So with 4 brown/tans, 2 reds, 1 purple, 1 blue, and 1 black ... what color should be next? Purple is one of my favorite colors, although I don't think there are as many people out there would would like a purple bangle. So I nixed purple for bangle #10. I went back to the black Elann Baby Silk, using a simple Moss Stitch pattern.


Black bangle

Like the other one I made with black Baby Silk yarn (Bangle #7), I also used a black bangle for this one too. I was so happy to finally finish my 10th bangle, and before the due date too!

My personal notes on how I made this bangle:

Elann Baby Silk, black
2.75 mm (US2)
Black bangle.
Circumference = ~11.25 inches (29 cm)
Width (all around) = 3 inches (7.5 cm)

Cast on 24 stitches.
Rows 1 & 2: * K1, P1 *
Rows 3 & 4: * P1, K1 *
Repeat rows 1 to 4 for pattern.

----------<>----------

Voilà! Here are all the bangles I made for the 2008 HUGe swap:


10 bangles


Project Summary:

Materials:

Assorted Bangles

Yarns:

Cleckheaton Country 8-Ply, brown
Elann Baby Silk, Black
Elann Highland Wool, Ruby Red
Elann Luxury Merino Superwash, Capri
Elann Sock It To Me, purple
Elann Sock It To Me, Latte

Needle sizes:

2.75 mm (US2)
4.0 mm (US6)

Pattern:

Swatch Bangles

Stitch patterns used:

4-Over-4 front cross cable every 8th row
6-Over-6 front cross cable every 12th row
Chain Link Cables, BW3 pg 213
Double Broken Rib, BW1 pg 12
Double Seed Stitch, BW1 pg 11
Double Texture Cable, BW3 pg 70
Moss Stitch, BW1 pg 11
Pattern # 120, NKSL pg 73
Seed Stitch, BW1 pg 11

Copyright © Smariek Knits 2005-2009. All full copyright rights are reserved by Smariek Knits.

.

4 stitch(es):

Claudia said...

I am so jealous!!!!! I love these so much! Just cannot find bangles big enough to fit around my wrists. But I've been wanting to make these forever. Congratulations on a gorgeous line! :)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

You are such a beautiful knitter I just love your projects very lovely.Hugs Darcy

Jean said...

It looks like you had alot of fun tinkering with these until they were just right. These are FUN projects that won't take forever to knit. I always enjoy your posts and love seeing what you are up to.

Acornbud said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
I nominated you for Kreativ Blogger award!