Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Chessboard Hat

Note:
1. More Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.
2. Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

You're probably wondering why I call this a chessboard hat when everybody under the sun would look at the squares and think checkerboard. I just had to be different. :-)

I was still in a 2-color knitting phase after knitting the Oblique Hat, enjoying getting more comfortable with working with yarn in both my hands, so decided to do something different in my next 2-color hat. This one was inspired by something I saw in a Vogue Stitchionary. The pattern is pretty easy to work, so I consider it "mindless knitting". It's easy to work while watching TV (which is when I did most of the knitting for this hat). You can easily work it without the use of a row counter; you just need to pay a little attention to the colors and remember where to switch colors. My hat above is a bit on the long side, as I wasn't paying attention and just continued around and around a little longer than I had intended before starting the increase, a side effect of watching tv while knitting. This is chemo hat #17 for Cap Karma this winter.

This is a great pattern for using all those little bits of leftover yarn. The minimum amount you would need for a square section is just enough yarn to work 4 rounds, and that's pretty easy requirement to meet! The possibilities are endless. You can change Main Color and/or Contrasting Color however you like, however I suggest you do it on Rounds 1 or 5 if you want to maintain the 4x4 square patterns.

Stitches used in this hat include:The 4-stitch by 4-stitch square checkerboard pattern was inspired from something in VS3, will need to look up the page number
Knit-Two Purl-Two Ribbing BW1 pg 39

Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.

Chessboard Hat pattern can be downloaded from Chessboard Hat pattern on box.com (no registration required).

.

3 stitch(es):

TracyKM said...

I wish I could crank out ANYTHING as fast as you are! Such cute hats :) One thing, if you find you've knitted too tall, change the type of top you do on the hat. I like making it straight across the top (you'll have to graft one 'half' to the other 'half') and add a pompom or tassel to each corner. Or make the decreases quick and many per row and make the top flat. It's all in your hands ;)

hakucho said...

Cute hat! I love multicolor knitting :)

happy knitting :)

Anonymous said...

Have you checked out Hello Knits' generic Norwegian hat "pattern"? It's a lovely, handy graph exactly the right size for a four-panel hat knit in sock yarn--you can sketch out whatever you want on it. I've found it great fun to play with as I explore stranded knitting.

http://www.helloyarn.com/genericnorwegianhat.htm

Cheers,

Sarah-Hope
www.whatifknits.com