Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Book meme



Barbara tagged me for this quick and easy book meme:
Page 56. 2-5 lines of whatever you're reading right now.
Ok, I think I can do this one! The only challenge is finding a book in print. Most of the books I read these days are audio books as it allows me to faire d'une pierre deux coups (= kill two birds with one stone). I feel more productive when I can do two things simultaneously. I like to knit while listening to an audio book. I like to knit while watching TV.

So let's see.... the books in print I have been looking at lately is comprised of mostly French language books. French-English dictionaries (yes, more than one). French grammar book. French verb book. And some other French language resource books. I will not bore you with an excerpt from these.

I recently finished reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I enjoyed it so much that I got my hands on the next book in the series, Tears of the Giraffe. Yes, this one is a printed book, not an audio book. I've been chipping away at it slowly.

I am on page 27 (chapter 3). Let's take a look ahead at page 56 from Tears of the Giraffe...

The man spoke correct Setswana, but his accent confirmed the visible signs. Underneath the vewels, there were clicks and whistles struggling to get out. It was a peculiar language, the San language, more like the sound of birds in the trees than people talking.
Ah, but I also like these lines from the page too:

"You are a fortunate man," said the jeweller. "Not every man can find such a cheerful, fat woman to marry. There are many thin, hectoring women around today. This one will make you very happy."
Don't worry, this wasn't a spoiler for me. I already knew that Mma Ramotswe is engaged to Mr J.L.B. Matekoni. :-)

Copyright © Smariek Knits 2005-2008. All full copyright rights are reserved by Smariek Knits.

1 stitch(es):

Jean said...

I like the second quotation, it is quite a jollie statement. N'est pas?