Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Pythagorean Hat & Scarf

.


a² + b² = c²




Here are two easy and quick knits, perfect for last minute Christmas gifts. The design is unisex and reversible. Based on the Pythagorean pattern from BW2 pg 15, I find that this design plays on the eyes. Yes, I see triangles. But not only triangles. I also see triangles within triangles, squares, and diamonds (& parallelograms). And I even see windmills when I "block out" 4 out of 8 triangles within a large square.

Although this pattern shares similarities in construction with the Asherton Reversible Scarf (and Asherton Hat), this is definitely a quicker knit due to not having the seed stitch patterning. I love seed stitch, however it can be a little tedious when you are doing a lot of it.

Stitches used in this hat & scarf include:
Garter Stitch, BW1 pg 10
Knit-Two Purl-Two Ribbing, BW1 pg 39
Pythagorean Pattern, BW2 pg 15
Reverse Stockinette Stitch, MT pg 4
Stockinette Stitch, BW1, pg 10



Pythagorean Hat & Scarf Pattern (same file from both links below):
Pythagorean Hat & Scarf Pattern from box.com (hat folder) (no registration required, just click on link & save file)
Pythagorean Hat & Scarf Pattern from box.com (scarf folder) (no registration required, just click on link & save file)

11/25/07 Note: Typo corrected on Rows 25 & 26. Thanks Sarah B for pointing this out.


The top of the hat features tapering triangles. This hat is a ladies small size (it fits my head). You can change the size of your hat by casting on more or less stitches in multiples of 12. I made my hat on the short side with 1" ribbing (5 rounds for me). You can make yours a little longer by making the ribbing section longer, up to ~3" if you want it to be a fold-up brim.



I chose not to knit a garter stitch border at the ends, I thought it looked much better when you jumped right into the pattern. The scarf is about 9 inches wide and 5.5 ft long.

This scarf can be knit in almost any type of yarn, and gauge is not crucial. Adjust width of scarf by casting on more or less stitches in multiples of 12. Make sure to use a needle size appropriate for the type of yarn you use.



.

8 stitch(es):

hakucho said...

Cute pattern (set). Gee, it would make a perfect gift for a math enthusiast :)

Thanks for the pattern!
happy knitting :)

Sharon said...

fe

Sharon said...

Oh, how I love your patterns! Can't wait to try this one. Thank you for sharing your creative genius...

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

Hate math, but love your pattern! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just found this pattern and I'm so glad! My boyfriend is mad about triangles (especially Pascal's, but hey, it's a P right? :P). I think he'll really dig having a Pythagorian scarf! Yay for last minute birthday gifts!

Oh and as I was doing the pattern I think I might have spotted a typo. In the scarf pattern on lines 25 & 26, is it supposed to be K2 *P1 K5 P5 K1* K2? I think the one I downloaded has one extra stitch. Thanks again for the fabulous pattern!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hat Pattern . Rows 17 and 18 should begin with P5. not P6- but i coud be wrong Love YOUR hat - butI used double wool to try and make it a little bigger and that caused me difficulties with manipulating cast off stitches . 4 double pointed needles were difficult also because i had no circular needles .Had to-knit just one set of triangles because could not cope with the pattern and problems mentioned so my hat which is black feels like a crash helmet 1/2 a pomegranate shape so i do not like my hat and where i cast off instead of decreasing stitches has left little snag like attachements but love your design

Gail said...

Thank you for the pattern. I am making this scarf now and it is lovely.

Molly said...

I found this pattern a while ago and left it alone for a while, but I just got back to doing it a few days ago. This pattern is great for me, since I don't know too much about knitting.