Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Chemo Hat #8 Completed - 3AM Blue Cable Hat




I made another Cable Hat. I'm calling this one the 3AM Cable Hat because I was nursing my baby girl at 3AM ... and I was thinking about how to tweak the Pink Cable Hat while walking her around to get her back to sleep (it's amazing how active my mind is while walking baby back to sleep in a dark room). I wanted to make it slightly shorter, with shorter K2P2 ribbing and CF6 every 8th row. So after I got baby to sleep, I went to scribble down my notes. This is what I came up with.


The blue hat was knitted using Worsted weight yarn. The purple hat was knitted using DK weight yarn.
(More pictures of the latter hat can be found here:
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/11/my-3am-cable-hat.html)


Stitches used in this hat include:
Knit-Two Purl-Two Ribbing, BW1 pg 39
Six-Stitch Cable Crossed Every Eighth Row, BW1 pg 242


Please email me if you would like your photo and a link to your blog (if you have one) to appear in My Readers' Gallery.



3AM Cable Hat pattern:
3AM Cable Hat from Box.net (no registration required, just click on link & save file)



.

25 stitch(es):

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely hat and a great tute, but I've got one question. Is this worked on straight needles, DPN's or circular needles. If it is on straight needles, how do you make it from a *flat* piece into a hat?

Anonymous said...

HELP!
I seem to be having trouble getting the ribbing and the cables matching, what am I doing wrong?

Anonymous said...

I just finished knitting this hat and well I must say it was fun to knit and easy!! :D I'll post a picture on my blog soon!!...my only problem is that the hat is too small for me :(...Thanks for sharing the pattern!! :D

LW said...

I think I'm going to knit this hat for my sister, but she wants little ear flaps, strings and a pom pom so I'll have to add those somehow. This was just what I was looking for though: a cute cabled hat! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I just started this hat (in baby blue) and i love it. I was hooked from the picture, i love cables, no lie, i learned how to cable out of a book befor i knew how to increace or decreace (i laugh when people say that they are afraid th try cabling

Lorette said...

I LOVE this hat! I am currently working on my fourth one.

Moon said...

either i have a terrible memory and wrote the anonymous post upthere (december 22nd) or someone else writes exactly like me....anywho..I just wanted to say that I fixed the problem and made the hat fit me :D...I picked up the stitches of the cast on and knitted the extra rows! :D

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I love this pattern! I have made SIX of these hats, and I just can't get enough. You've written a beautiful, well-thought out and easy to follow pattern. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty new to knitting, so this is probably a dumb question, but here we go:

On the last few rows of the pattern, where it says "P1* CF4 P2*, end last repeat CF4, P1" I just don't understand what is meant by "end last repeat" etc. What am I supposed to do here?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm almost done with my first hat and it's looking really good. I don't want to mess up now! Thanks in advance :-)

smariek said...

Kently: What you would do is P1. Then you repeat * CF4, P2 * across the round until you have 5 stitches left on your left-hand needle. Then you do CF4, P1 on those last 5 stitches. Hope this helps.

A Bunch of Knits said...

Lovely hat! I don't see mention anywhere of approx how many yards it takes for the hat in worsted or DK weight. Would you mind giving an estimation of how many yards are needed for each weight hat?
thank you!

A Bunch of Knits said...

Oh if you dont' know yardage would you mind giving # of oz. thank you.

Anonymous said...

I ove your site...have just strted knitting and bought the circular needle (the one's with the nylon thread joining them ) and now I'm stumped! how on earth does one use these things? does anyone know where I cna find instructions? I would be most grateful
Mafonzie

smariek said...

Abunchofus:

Depending on how large you make your hat and/or how much ribbing you want, you should be able to knit this hat with less than 100 gm of yarn (or less than 200 yds).

Mafonzie:

You will find lots of great knitting instructions at http://knittinghelp.com , they have videos to show you how to do it.

Anonymous said...

Oh wait! Can I have your permission to make some of these and donate them to needy children in the area?

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Huh, that's weird, my first comment didn't show up. Maybe it will later. But in case it doesn't, I said I LOVED this hat pattern, the way it decreases at the top is great and I thought it would very easy to make in different sizes and I wanted to make some for the children in the local foster care system. And then I thought to ask you for your permission. =)

smariek said...

Kate:

Yes, you may knit these hats to donate or sell.

Beatriz said...

Thank you for offering so many nice free patterns. I love the 3am cable hat...it's going to be a regular pattern for my stashbusting, both DK and WW yarn!

Anonymous said...

This pattern is LOVELY!! I am going to try to make it to send to a cadet who helped my troop at West Point this past weekend.

Thanks for making your patterns available!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thanks for this pattern, it looks great and I'm hoping to knit it for my Mum this christmas - she said she wanted a nice warm hat! Only thing is, a gauge would really help me if there's any way you could supply one? I want to use slightly thicker wool to make it super warm, but I don't want the hat to be too big... Thanks!!! Elaine

Stephanie said...

I just made a tweaked version of this hat for my sister. It's beautiful! I love it (I almost took it away from her)! I reeeeaaaaallly want to thank you for sharing this pattern. The instructions are so simple ANYONE can make it! (I, as a 7th grader, can testify to that.) Thank you!
-Stephanie-

Jenny D said...

I'd love to knit this hat, can you knit it on straight needles or does it have to be circular needles?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this pattern--I did one very similiar for my daughter 2 years ago, and could not find the pattern again...because it is knitted in the round with worsted weight yarn, it knits up in a night or two, and once you get into the grove of the pattern, it is almost "mindless" and is easy to adjust the size if you need it bigger or smaller, and can be made in several variations if you don't do the decrease rows, knit in pattern for the number of decrease rows, bind off, divide into forths, stitch up, and do Pom poms at the four corners...or for that matter, I cord and tassels...the possibilities are endless! Cascade 220 and Plymouth Gallway all work well...thanks for a pattern that is stylish and a cinch to do!!! Just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

In response to Jenny D, yes you could knit this on straight needles...but remember on circs you are knitting the front always, so you will have to change every other row to be knit from the wrong side accordingly...if you have not knit in the round before, I would suggest this pattern as a place to start....get yourself a pair of circular needles, and just try it...I started knitting on circs early on, and I now use them for EVERYTHING !!! I knit afghans, lace, sweaters, socks, scarves, hats, mittens, everything on circular needles--even when the directions call for DPNs... Once you catch on you will wonder why they even sell straight needles--best of luck to you! If you need help, go to your LYS...most ate happy to assist!

Unknown said...

thanks for this pattern! I just completed my hat. I made it with casting on 120 stitches, 10mm knitting needles and used Lion Brand yarn (super bulky). incredibly warm hat!