Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Christmas Tree Dishcloth


.
Here's my first non-pink dishcloth. :) I hadn't thought about which side would be the front, so I weaved in the ends on the side where the Christmas tree pattern is knit. In retrospect, I probably should have done it the other way around, by weaving in the ends on the side where the tree is purl. You can see the ends in the picture above because I haven't snipped them off yet. I dunno, what do you think? Should the pattern be the purl side or the knit side? This is a pattern from Purple Duckie. This dishcloth, like my Spring Butterflies cloth, is also very slightly trapezoidal. Of course nobody but myself would probably notice it. I think my next Christmas themed dishcloth will be Melissa's reindeer. This pattern was easy to knit with it's big section of purls and knits, rather than having to alternate purls/knits a gazillion times throughout a row. It's just a matter of counting.

Yarn: Lily Sugar & Cream, Dark Pine color
Needles: 4.5 mm - US 7

.

2 stitch(es):

KnitnFool said...

Usually the "front" of these cloths is the side with the stockingnet in the background, so it looks like you wove in your ends correctly. (I was going to say on the right side, but realized that would be confusing :) ) I read somewhere recently that, in order to avoid the trapezoid look, you should use smaller needles for the top and bottom border. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. Nice work.

TracyKM said...

If you weave your ends in like you're doing duplicate stitch, it doesn't really matter which side they're on.
For the pulled in look--garter stitch has a different gauge than stockinette. So, for the top and bottom borders, use about 10% more stitches. For the sides, compare the row gauge that you got for the bottom band, with the row gauge of the stockinette, and do little short rows on the garter edging. For example--if the garter st gets 6 rows (5 ridges) to one inch, while the stockinette gets 8 rows for one inch, you'd have to do two extra garter rows for every inch of work. At both edges, LOL.
TracyKM