I've cast on my first Chemo Hat using mystery pink acrylic yarn. I measured the yarn; it came out to 10 WPIs ... I figure it's somewhere between a heavier DK weight and a lighter medium Worsted Weight yarn. I was thinking of using US7 (4.5mm) needles but did not have any available, so I cast on using two US6 (4mm) needles instead because I thought the hat might not be warm enough if I used US8 (5mm) needles.
This Nautilus hat is knitted from the top down. The picture above shows the top (crown) of the hat. I love the swirls the YOs make. The pattern calls for Paco yarn. I'm not sure what weight this yarn is and the link on the website no longer exists. As a result I am not sure I can follow the pattern as is and increase to the number of stitches specified. I may need to tweak it a bit for sizing.
I've learned something new while knitting this hat. One row of the pattern ends with a YO. I stopped knitting after working such a row, put the hat in a tote bag, and then picked it up again later to continue knitting the next row. I discovered I lost a stitch on each needle because the YOs fell off while in the tote bag. Doh! I had to go back and fix that. Now I have to remember to only put down this hat after I have completed one of the knit completely across (viz. no YOs) rows.