Yay, we're going on a little road trip to Monterey, CA for a couple of days. I am so looking forward to this little trip, even though it is only 85 miles (136 km) away. I'd like to drop by Knitting By The Sea in Carmel, CA. It was closed (on Sunday) when I walked by the store the last time I was in Carmel (Nov 2007). Although if I were being realistic, it probably would not have a very good experience browsing with DH & Miss M in tow. And anything I may pick up would probably not hide well in my bag. Yes, DH is still "in training".
Anyhow, I need to figure out which WIP to take with me on my little trip. Which do you think I should bring with me?
1. Mom's VestI can't bring them all due to limited space in the car. It's very odd. The amount of stuff packed is inversely proportional to the person's size. Miss M, being the smallest person, seems to have the most stuff volume-wize. It has been 2 years since our last road trip with Miss M. I think the baggage will be similar, however this time we will not need to bring the Pack-n-Play. We think we found a place to stay where the room arrangement will be efficacious to Miss M falling asleep near her usual bedtime (viz. 8 PM) while allowing DH & I to stay up a little longer with the lights on. The place is supposed to have a separate sitting area containing a sofa bed and a DOOR between it and our bedroom. I'll let you know how it turns out after we return.
I've been working on this since Nov 2007! I have already completed the Back section and the Left Front section (seen here). I'm in the middle of the Right Front section (progress seen here).
2. MIL's Scarf
I'm a little more than halfway done, you can see it here. I made great progress with the first half, then momentum fizzled.
3. Cable Scarf
You've seen a small section of this scarf before where I made a glaring mistake and ended up frogging the whole thing. I have cast on again and managed to knit a few rows.
4. Baby Blanket
I started this in March thinking it would make a nice gift for Shree. Unfortunately, she has already had her baby, so I missed yet another baby deadline. My track record for baby blankets is not very good. However my plan is to complete this one and hope someone will have a baby after the blanket is finished. Sorry, I can't find a photo of it, I don't think I have ever blogged about it.
I also need to choose a book to bring with me on this trip. I recently finished reading Mourn Not Your Dead by Deborah Crombie. This was my first book by this author and I will definitely check out some of her other mysteries. Since I am currently in between books, I need to choose a new book to read and have a few at the top of my "to read" list. Which would you suggest? Or would you recommend something else?
1. 13 Steps Down by Ruth Rendell.I can't decide which one to bring.
2. A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George.
3. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.
3. Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.
4. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
5. Through a Glass, Darkly by Donna Leon.
I've already picked up EVO magazine for DH to read; it's a UK based car magazine. I was trying to find Car magazine, another UK based periodical. Unfortunately all the copies I managed to find at the bookstore looked like they went through someone's Cuisinart. No pristine copies to be found, so I passed.
I picked up a Sesame Street Abby puzzle book to keep Miss M entertained while we are in Monterey. I couldn't find a photo of the book, but it is similar to the Elmo book you see above (which Miss M already has and absolutely loves it). These books have five 12-piece puzzles. I love how the backing on each puzzle set is a different color so you can easily sort them.
Wow, I can't believe I actually won a contest! I won second place in Alana's contest. She is giving away knitting books and yarn. The best part about second place is not having to choose the prize. I must say that whichever book I receive will be the first non-stitch-dictionary addition to my knitting library, of which I have eight. Isn't it awful that I have been knitting for just over 3 years and don't have any "real" knitting books?
American Idol is coming to an end. I just wasn't too impressed with tonight's show. I was expecting to hear 6 songs that would wow me, and I can't say they did. I think David Cook will win. DH thinks it'll be David Archuleta. We'll find out tomorrow night...
My goal is to determine the differences between (California) prop 98 and 99 before we leave for Monterey. Wish me luck!