Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Do you remember...

.
that blog scraper I mentioned a little while back who was copying entire blog posts -- my blog posts and other knitters' blog posts -- and posting it on his own blog as if it were his own? He's done it again today. On his front page I see copied blog posts from other knitters!!! Unfortunately he has still copied parts of my newer blog posts onto his website, however he was not able to copy my blog posts in their entirety which I believe is the result of the minor change I made in Blogger. One other thing I noticed is that there are Google Ads at the very bottom of his webpage. I suspect he is blog scraping merely to get people to go to his website and help him generate GA revenue. If you enter his website addy (without the "http://" part) in a search engine, you will see from the result that it appears he also tries to spam various forums with his website url. And get this, many of the forums appear to be non-knitting related! I thought that was amusing.

I have discovered a little more info about that site, however nothing of consequence.

A WhoIs query (from here and here) will give you some info about the person who registered the domain name. I suspect that some of this info is bogus. The address listed would lead you to believe he is in China, however the email address suffix is based in Russia. The phone number gives a country code of "906", which I do not believe to be a valid country code; take a look at this list of country calling codes on Wikipedia. WhoIs query tells you he registered his domain name from "ESTDomains, Inc.". The WhoIs query will also tell you who hosts the website. It returns an IP address, and says it is located in Moscow.

What next? I dunno. All I know is that I am tired after typing all this up.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to me ramble here. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend/holiday. I am still packing for our little road trip, but I think I'll go make a pot of tea first...

.

4 stitch(es):

wenat said...

I posted some info about stolen blog content to Ravelry's blogging group, in this message:
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/blogging/90703/1-25#4

Chris said...

Wow--you are certainly computer literate--I am only semi computer literate. keep up the good work maybe you will find him.

Rachel said...

Hmmm, what a stinker that guy is! At least you can be flattered that he stole from you; "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery . . ."

Hope you had a lovely Memorial Day!

hakucho said...

Thanks for all the info and keeping us updated. Good luck getting it to stop!!

hugs :)