Ok it's been a while and the Blogger interface looks different ... let's see if I can figure out how to create a new blog post. :)
Vicki gave me some Cascade 128 bulky(?) black yarn a couple years ago to make her some fingerless mitts. I haven't knit in a while and was a little rusty. It took me a while to figure out how to join a round. Eventually joined it and started knitting in a round. It wasn't too bad, knitting is a bit like riding a bike. It all came back to me. I even did the cables without a cable needle with no problems at all.
This is the first time I've ever worked with this yarn and I wasn't sure how much yardage I would need for a pair of fingerless mitts. I only have this one ball and hope it is enough. I've completed the main part of the first mitt and will hold off on doing the thumb until I have completed the second mitt. I figure I can knit the two thumbs in a different contrasting color yarn if I run out of the black yarn.
The yarn label suggests a needle size of US10 or US10.5. I'm using US8 circular needles because I couldn't find 2 US9 or 2 US10 needles (a side effect of having too many WIPs hiding in obscure corners of the house). I am glad I'm using US8 because the mitt seems to fit just right and would have been too large if I had used a larger size.
The photo above doesn't show the actual yarn color, it is a dark black color. I find it more difficult to see the stitches. It doesn't help that I do most of my knitting at night when the lighting is not very good.
... now I need to start the second mitt. :)